Thursday, November 26, 2015

Gratitude

PictureGratitude --
​On Thanksgiving Day and All Year Long.​


I encourage us all to take stock during this time of thanksgiving.   Look at the blessings around you, the food on your table and the loving people surrounding you.  We spend so much of our lives worried and stressed about all the things that we don’t have and all the things that are going wrong.  We forget to focus on all that we DO have and all the things that ARE going RIGHT.  It is a simple mind shift that can completely transform our life.  Why do we have to wait all year for a holiday called Thanksgiving to experience gratitude?

Picture
This Thanksgiving, and hopefully every other day of the year, we should appreciate the blessings life has to offer.  Focus on the simple pleasures that are a daily part of life.  The fact that you are able to run or walk, cook a meal, spend time surrounded by people who love you. I say it repeatedly, but it is so true -- In the end, it is the relationships with loved ones that are the greatest blessing.

As I reflect on the path my life has recently taken, I can’t help but feel overwhelmingly grateful.  As I acknowledge the people in my life who love and support me, I know I am a very lucky woman.  I have a wonderful husband and family, an ever expanding network of supportive friends, a business start-up that I am falling more in love with each day and a beautiful old rickety house that I love.

Each blessing also provides ample challenges.  This is to be expected and is frankly just a part of life.  I miss people that are now absent from my life, either through passing or simply time and distance.  The heater in my house is broken.  I have questions about running my own business.  I am worried about some special people in my life who are not in great health.  However, through everything, I know that I have so much to be thankful for.  I recognize that so many people are spending this holiday without a home, food or good health.  Many are celebrating this holiday without their loved ones.

I encourage you to find ways to give back to others that do not have access to the same simple pleasures.  Invite a lonely neighbor over for Thanksgiving dinner or give a plate of leftovers to someone in need.  You can volunteer at a soup kitchen, donate blankets to a shelter, write a letter to a soldier stationed overseas or spend time at a Senior Center.  By bringing a little light into the life of another, you will find your own sense of gratitude and well-being surge.

I encourage you to join me in December for my Random Act of Kindness (RAK) Challenge.  Spread the gratitude everywhere you go this holiday season. Stay tuned for the RAK List of Ideas—Coming Soon!  #LifeTrueToYou #KindnessChallenge ​

No comments:

Post a Comment