Monday, December 28, 2015

Appreciate Every Moment

Today I found out another one of my childhood friends passed away unexpectedly. Taken all too soon, a bright and vibrant part of this world has been snuffed out for what seems to be no reason at all.  As I reflect back on his life and the memories I shared with him I can’t help but ask myself, why?  How could this happen?  He was so young and vibrant.  He had so much to offer and so much life in front of him.


I haven’t seen him in over a decade.  I don’t know what struggles he has had or the joys he has experienced over these most recent years.  I don’t know how his life has changed or in which ways he himself has changed.  But, I do remember him laughing, giving me big hugs and asking about my mom.  I remember him being there for me after my car accident.  I remember the fun we had together gallivanting around his neighborhood and the lessons we learned side by side when we would stumble upon some mischief together.

As I reflect on the time we spent together and how he impacted my life, I feel an overwhelming sense of sadness.  I also recognize the fragility of life like never before.  We so often go through life feeling invincible.  We think these awful things can only happen to other people, it could never happen to us.
Life is precious.  A vibrant and full life can be gone in an instant.  It would serve us well to remember that tomorrow is not a guarantee.  We cannot rest assured that we will be able to get it done another day.  We should not assume that the words we have left unspoken can be uttered in the near future.  All we have is now.  We must share our love today, and every day that we have the opportunity.

Life is not fair and we will all face grief or suffering at some point.  Unfortunately, it is a part of life.  It is up to us to make each day, every single moment, count. Appreciate it and make it the best it can possibly be.  The most mundane tasks may eventually be the best memory someone will have of you, or you of them.  Don’t let any moment slip through your fingers.

Be present.  Tell loved ones how much they mean to you.  Forgive others.  Listen to what people are really saying.  Always find something to laugh about.  Look for joy in the simple things.   


Share your love with others and make it a mission to appreciate every single moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment