Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Get the Right Gear

Week 2: Buy the Right Gear



I tend to take a fairly minimalist approach when it comes to running, training and races.  Part of what I love about running is that you don’t need any special equipment.  Anyone can do it, anywhere at any time.  There is no room for the excuses – "I don’t have the space, or the equipment or the knowledge."  Running is the great equalizer when it comes to working out.  We can all do it.  We can all improve.  We can all experience the elusive runners high and feel great after a challenging run.




That being said, I did learn the hard way that sometimes a little research and splurging on certain items really can make a big difference in your overall running experience.  


I completed my first full marathon in 2010.  Aside from running cross country and track in high school, I had not completed any other races as an adult, certainly not a 10K, 10 miler or half-marathon.  My family always jokes that I tend to jump in head first and look around and ask questions later.  That first marathon, the inaugural Blue Ridge Mountain Marathon, also known as America's Toughest Road Marathon and one of The Weather Channel's 15 toughest marathon's in the world, provided me with countless lessons, not the least of which regarded the gear I was using.


I completed the vast majority of my marathon training wearing cotton t-shirts, old worn-out shoes and having my husband drive around and wait at certain set points with a bottle of water so I could chug it.  It wasn’t until half way through my training that I discovered the benefits of energy gels on my long runs.  I have no idea how I made it through my 16 mile run with nothing other than water.  I was crazy!  I did not learn about the amazing product that is body glide, until after I crossed the finish line on race day.  Another racer was kind enough to notice the blood seeping through my bra and shirt and tell me about the marvelous invention.  (It hurt to shower for a week!)  I would later learn that I could use deodorant for the same purpose.  


By the time I went out and started training for my second marathon (the Hatfield and McCoy Marathon, which winds you through West Virginia and Kentucky and has also been ranked one of the Worlds 15 toughest marathon's by The Weather Channel)

and third marathon (Raleigh Rock n Roll, which in theory should have been a much easier race but actually ended up being the toughest for me mentally and in terms of my time),







I had finally grasped the importance of dri-wick t-shirts, NOT wearing cotton underwear (talk about feeling absolutely gross!) and carrying water on you in some shape or fashion.  It was also at that point that I recognized the necessity of purchasing good shoes with a large toe box (your toes will swell as you run long distances) at the start of a training regimen.  This gives you time to wear in the shoes for race day while still ensuring that they are not completely worn out by the time you are crossing the finish line.

While I will always be of the mindset that running is the ultimate form of exercise because it does not require any special gear, I have also come to grudgingly admit that sometimes, especially if you are running in races or training for longer distances, having quality gear can make a huge difference in your race times and perhaps even more importantly the enjoyment you experience while running.

Take the time to research what is available, listen to what the experts recommend and most importantly experiment with what works for you!


Interested in completing one of this year's amazing and empowering Esprit de She races located in awesome places all over the US?  Check out the list of upcoming events to find one near you, or perhaps one you would like to travel to ;)   Then use this code to get $5 off your registration fee!

GEDS16AMB015

Happy running!  #beyourpotential
Crissy Fishbane

2 comments:

  1. I love your post Crissy! Like you said, sometimes, having a new piece of gear gives that extra amp of enjoyment. :) With running especially, there is a sweet simplicity to grabbing shoes and heading out the door into nature to run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I agree with you 100%. It is so important that we have some simple exercises we can always fall back on no matter where we are or what equipment we have access to. Running is the best one in my book!

    ReplyDelete