Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Mix Up Your Training

Week 6 Challenge: Mix up Your Training




I remember preparing for my wedding in 2010. 

I had picked out the dress from a catalog and knew it was the one I wanted before I had even tried it on.  In fact, it was the only dress I tried on once we arrived at the store.

I didn’t even consider that perhaps another dress would be better suited for my body type or that I should try a few other dresses on just for the sake of variety.

I got the dress, though it really would have been better suited for a person that was slightly taller with a longer torso.

It didn’t matter to me though!  I was going to lose several pounds, get a beautiful tan and be the most beautiful woman my fiancée had ever seen.






My Failed Plan for Pre-Wedding Weight loss

My plan for losing a few pounds before my wedding revolved around training for and running a marathon.

You know me, go big or go home!

I didn’t take into account that I had actually gained weight while training for my first marathon, how hungry I get during the months leading up to a marathon or how much time marathon training and planning a wedding both take (not to mention being in the  middle of my master’s program). 

What I failed to realize was the importance of mixing up my training, especially when the main form of exercise is 12+ mile runs. 

The Benefits of Cross Training

It is essential to give overused muscles in your body a chance to rest.  Giving your body enough time to repair itself is crucial to increasing your body’s overall capabilities. 

You can add variety by changing the duration and intensity of your workout.  However, it is essential to also incorporate variation in the types of activities you are engaging in.  By doing this, you will see improvements in appearance, endurance and strength.  


If you are a runner and run every day of the week you wind up leaving many muscles underdeveloped.  By switching it up a couple days a week and incorporating plyometrics, weight training, calisthenics, swimming, biking, jumping rope, yoga or pilates will greatly increase your performance when you head back to the trails. 

The same holds true for someone who has dedicated all of their training to lifting in the gym.  Weight lifting is amazing for the body and provides great physical satisfaction.  Yet, to really take training to the next level you must move out of the weight room a couple of times a week.

These “off days” are better viewed as active recovery.  The muscles you use regularly will have a chance to recover as they receive increased blood flow and nutrients through alternate movements.
Incorporating cross training also helps you avoid injury.  When you train your body in the same way every workout you will find that certain muscles, ligaments, joints and tendons start to show wear and tear and become more prone to injury.  You must give these parts of your body time to heal while allowing other, less used parts of the body to develop.

Did I mention this keeps you from getting bored?   Try something new.  Make it an experiment and explore new workouts each week!  You might be amazed with what new forms of fitness you fall in love with.  This is how I discovered and fell in love with Barstarzz Workouts!

Other Great Sources:

http://www.espritdeshe.com/inspiration/8-week-challenge/week-6/

Interested in completing one of this year's amazing and empowering Esprit de She races located in awesome places all over the US?  Check out the list of upcoming events to find one near you, or perhaps one you would like to travel to ;)   Then use this code to get $5 off your registration fee!

GEDS16AMB015

Happy running!  #beyourpotential
Crissy Fishbane

No comments:

Post a Comment